Squadron Corporal Major 2048 George Attenborough DCM

George was born to Frank and Charlotte Jenny Attenborough at Steeple in March 1879

Although he was always referred to as George he was named as John George Attenborough

His father died in 1884 leaving his mother to bring up George although she remarried later

George joined 1st Life Guards, aged 19, on 20 April 1898 and trained as a trooper.

He fought with the life guards in the Boer war and at the conclusion was awarded the Queens South Africa Medal with clasps to represent his presence at the campaigns of   Relief of Kimberley, Paardenberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg and Wittenbergen.

When the Great War began in 1914, George was by now a Corporal  and went straight to war as the Life Guards were amongst the first units to be involved in the fighting.

In November 1914 the German attack had slowed and trench warfare had begun.

George wrote a letter home about his experience.

The night before last, 64 of us were lining 400 yards of trenches near Ypres. We heard the Germans singing hymns and so we knew that they were about to attack. At 12.30 they made a terrific rush giving a mighty cheer and succeeded in getting into our trenches. We then went for them with all that we were worth ( 64 against hundreds) and the result of it all was that we lost 5 killed and 15 wounded and I counted 50 to 60 dead Germans in our trenches besides taking 19 prisoners. There were dozens shot before the succeeded in getting into our trenches.

On 5 August 1915 he was awarded a Distinguished Conduct Medal, which is second only to a Victoria Cross for his actions at Ypres. The citation reads :-

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on 13 May 1915 near Ypres when he remained in shell holes under heavy fire during a retirement and ultimately advanced with the 10th Hussars in a counter attack


In March 1918 on home leave George married Jenny Ada Kelly and the couple moved to Hazeldene, Western Road, Burnham on Crouch.

Shortly after his wedding George returned to duties with D Squadron 1st Life Guards

On 19 May 1918 George suffered wounds which were serious enough for him to be repatriated to the 3rd London General Hospital at Wandsworth where he died on 1 July 1918 from the wounds received.

He is buried at Burnham on Crouch Cemetery.

His mother died on 10 January 1919 and from accounts the cause of death was attributed to the news of the death of her son.